Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Week 6 Critique, Adding graphics, and Re-sizing game board




Critique

Last week we critiqued our game boards. I received some suggestions to improve my game board, which I fixed this week. The first suggestion was to fix my yellow lane dividers. The lane dividers are on the game board for cosmetic reasons, to give the board the feeling that you are racing on a street. Some people thought that they were special spaces throughout the board. Second, the rounded edges on each space did not fit in with the racing theme. The spaces resemble "tombstones" and would rather fit in a graveyard theme. Finally, the rules in the bottom right are not clearly visible because of my color tones. 





Adding Graphics and Re-Sizing

After hearing the feedback from last week, I corrected my problems starting with the "tombstone-like" spaces. I decided to just make the spaces "rectangular" as it looks more like a street would. For the lane dividers, I learned a new technique in Adobe Illustrator with the line tool. I started on space 1 and followed the center line, counter-clockwise, around the board to space 62. At first, it appears as just one continuous line. Adjusting the stroke allows you to make the line "dashed" and adjust the amount of "gap" between the line. Last, I decided to remove the box/border around the rules and adjust the color tone so you can clearly read the rules.

Next, I started adding graphics to the board to go along with the rules. I also re-sized the car so that it is more of a focal point on the game board. I decided to move the title of the game to the top of the board and add a flag on each side. After placing the graphics and re-sizing some of them, I had to re-size the game board to industry standards of 18" x 18". The border/box around the game board is used for containing the board within 1/8" on each side to allow for bleeding from printing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment